Functional Medicine
Approach To
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a particularly devastating condition that affects nearly 30,000 people in the U.S. This is a degenerative nervous system condition that affects the motor neurons responsible for voluntary movement. Some common symptoms include muscle atrophy, muscle stiffness, muscle twitching, declining strength, and progressive disability that often leads to death. The onset typically presents in one limb or another, or shows up as difficulty swallowing, speaking, or breathing. Sharlin Health and Neurology is a neurology clinic serving the Ozark community that offers the best diagnostics and treatment options for ALS in the region.

DEVELOPMENT OF ALS

Up to 10% of ALS cases are thought to be genetic, directly inherited from parents, but the other 90% are considered sporadic cases. In these cases, it appears to be a complex interaction of genes and environmental factors such as traumatic brain injury, fungal/bacterial/viral infections, smoking, and toxic exposures to things like heavy metals and pesticides.

OUR OZARK FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE APPROACH TO ALS

Here at Sharlin Health and Neurology, we take a holistic and functional approach to ALS treatments at our Ozark neurology clinic. We understand that lifestyle factors can play a large role in the progression or reversal of disease symptoms, and we work on multiple levels to bring our patients into a state of balance. We’ve created a one-of-a-kind clinical approach that includes detoxification protocols, dietary intervention, and lifestyle medicine. Our functional medicine doctors near Ozark will oversee your entire treatment plan, ensuring it’s tailored to meet your needs.

We adhere to the tenets of functional medicine with each of our ALS patients, starting with diagnostics through the Functional Medicine operating system. This system includes the Functional Medicine Matrix, which is based on a scientific framework known as systems biology, analyzing cellular imbalances to uncover the root cause of conditions like ALS. During your ALS treatment at our Ozark clinic, we emphasize the Therapeutic Lifestyle Factors—nutrition, stress, sleep and relaxation, movement and exercise, and relationships. By treating the whole person, we’re able to achieve greater clinical outcomes.

Want to learn more about our approach to ALS treatments at our Ozark neurology clinic, or set up your free 15-minute phone consultation? Reach out to us at Sharlin Health and Neurology today.

0