Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Affecting about 3,000 people in Canada, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is a degenerative condition that affects the nervous system, particularly the motor neurons that are in charge of voluntary movement. This condition is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, and is extremely debilitating in most cases. Common symptoms of ALS include muscle twitching and stiffness, muscle wasting/atrophy, and loss of strength, and these are typically progressive, leading to greater disability over time, and often death. ALS may initially present as difficulty breathing, swallowing, or speaking, and may initially show up in one limb or side of the body. Here at Sharlin Health & Neurology, our functional medicine doctor and specialists provide ALS treatment options for our Toronto patients.
DEVELOPMENT OF ALS
Only about 10% of ALS cases are considered genetic, inherited from parents. The other 90% are known as sporadic cases, often resulting from a complex interaction of environmental factors and certain genes. Exposure to environmental toxins like pesticides and heavy metals, persistent infections, smoking, and brain injuries seem to increase the likelihood of ALS.
OUR FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE APPROACH TO ALS
Sharlin Health and Neurology sees many patients that travel from across the world, including Toronto. Our functional medicine doctors are known for their holistic approach to ALS treatment, acknowledging the varying lifestyle factors that can contribute to the disease’s progression. We work to reverse disease symptoms through dietary intervention, detox protocols, and other lifestyle medicine programs. Dr. Sharlin, our leading neurologist, will oversee your time with us and tailor your treatment plan to match your unique needs and disease stage.
At our ALS treatment clinic serving patients from Toronto, we believe in the basic principles of functional medicine, from diagnostics to post-treatment care.
Our clinical framework is based on the Functional Medicine operating system, which includes the Functional Medicine Timeline, The Functional Medicine Matrix, and the Therapeutic Lifestyle Factors. The Functional Medicine Matrix is grounded in the scientific framework of systems biology, which allows medical professionals to evaluate imbalances at the cellular level. This helps uncover the root cause of conditions like ALS. When the patient is empowered with an understanding of these imbalances, they can make lifestyle changes to correct them. In the Functional Medicine Matrix, there are seven nodes, including defense and repair, assimilation, biotransformation and elimination, energy, transport, structural integrity, and communication.
At Sharlin Health & Neurology, we believe in treating the entire person, not just masking symptoms. Are you experiencing unusual neurological symptoms or have already been diagnosed with ALS? Reach out to us today for your free 15-minute telephone consultation to see if our program would be a good fit for you. We warmly accept patients from the Toronto area for ALS treatment!
Read Neurologist Dr. Ken Sharlin’s Blog
Are you or someone you love affected by a neurodegenerative condition like Parkinson's disease? You're not alone. There are over 10 million people...
Living with chronic neurological diseases such as dementia, Parkinson’s, or MS can feel like a constant uphill battle. The physical, cognitive, and...
In the world of medicine, the connection between nutrition and brain health is a topic gaining increasing attention. To shed light on this...